Planning a wedding involves more than choosing the perfect gown. It entails more than cake selection, color schemes, and catering choices. Planning a wedding encompasses a word that had become difficult for me the past few months.
Hope.
Katie and Brad's wedding came just three short months after my own divorce became final. Wedding vows, promises of a future as a couple, dreams of a lifelong commitment might have been a bitter pill for me to swallow. Something happened early on in their wedding plans that fortunately put peace, and hope, in my heart.
Brad wanted to have a song played at the wedding by the Contemporary Christian band, Third Day. His choice of a song was titled, "I will always be true."
I owned the Revelation Cd, and knew this song well. In fact, this particular Cd had been a source of encouragement for me in tough times. When Brad chose this song though, I knew for certain that this was going to be a wonderful marriage and they were headed in the right direction because they had placed God into their lives and marriage.
This past summer, Katie's twin brother, Brett married a lovely young lady named Michelle. She graciously included me in many of the wedding preparations. Both of these weddings were beautiful events, tailored to each couple's personalities,
Brett and Michelle's ceremony stressed the amazing fact that they had all eight grandparents alive and in attendance and each couple boasted fifty plus years of marriage! The pledge they made to one another was strong in their commitment to have a lasting marriage. They too, have placed God in their marriage.
A part of me was vividly aware of the truth spoken at both ceremonies. My intent was never to have my own marriage end. I believed in commitment and as I watched each couple say their vows to one another, I was renewed in hope.
I can tell you this, I had a wonderful time at both the weddings and the receptions. It is such a blessing to see your own children so happy. It is a great feeling to know that your children have chosen a wonderful person to share their life with.
It was their special day and I soaked it all up!
Katie and Brad, and Brett and Michelle are participating in The Love Dare.
From what I have heard about this challenge, it is something all couples, young and old, should read and participate in.
I don't know what my future holds. I can't even think that far ahead. I have been learning a lot of lessons. I hope someday God sends me a special person. Right now, I am content to discover more about who I am. Besides, I have been busy planning and rejoicing at weddings these past two years!
"...For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,
"Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future..."
Jeremiah 29:11
"Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future..."
Jeremiah 29:11


No comments:
Post a Comment